Hulled tahini is traditionally made by soaking sesame seeds, pounding and then soaking again to separate the bran from the kernels, which are roasted and ground.
Unhulled tahini, made from the whole seed, is darker and stronger but it contains more nutrients (eg: calcium) as the whole seed has been used.
Black tahini is made from black sesame seeds that are slowly stone ground into a smooth spread. It is similar in taste to hulled white tahini, but grey to black in colour and not quite as strong.
All three tahinis are available at your Co-op, and you will find all the ingredients for the smoothie below as well.
Tahini is a tasty way to add powerful antioxidants and healthy fats to your diet, as well as several vitamins and minerals. It has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, and its health benefits may include reducing risk factors for heart disease and protecting brain health.
Great ways to use tahini, thanks to its creamy texture:
- Salad dressings
- Homemade ice cream
- Stuffed dates
- Cacao treat bars
SUPER SEEDY TAHINI SMOOTHIE
- One (frozen ideally) banana
- 150 ml milk of your choice
- 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
- Seeds from one cardamom pod
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- If not using a frozen banana then add ice with your ingredients
- Note that all ingredients are available at your Co-op
- Wake up and jump out of bed
- Decide it’s a sensational day for a smoothie!
- Throw all the ingredients in your blender of choice and slurp away
DID YOU KNOW?
You can actually throw the banana in whole, including the skin?! It thickens smoothies beautifully so is perfect if you like a thicker consistency (spoiler alert: it will darken the colour of the smoothie somewhat).