Shiitake Risotto Ingredients
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 3/4 cup brown onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds (black or white is fine)
- 2 cups arborio rice or medium grain brown rice
- 2/3 cup rice wine
- 6 cups stock, warmed
- 50g dried shitake mushrooms
- 250g white mushrooms
Suggested Additions to Shiitake Risotto
- spinach, cooked or raw
And if you’re not wanting a vegetarian shiitake risotto:
- Soak shiitake mushrooms in boiling hot water for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a large sauté pan over medium-low heat. Add the onion, garlic & half the sesame seeds and sauté until soft & golden (not brown).
- Add the rice. Stir for a couple minutes to coat rice with oil.
- Add rice wine and stir to let absorb completely, which will only take about a minute.
- It is essential to be adding WARM stock throughout as it greatly enhances the creaminess of your risotto. Just have it simmering on very low heat in another pot.
- Add stock to the pan one ladleful at a time and stir frequently. With the second addition of stock, also add both shitake & white mushrooms. When the stock is almost completely absorbed each time, add the next ladleful and keep repeating until the rice is al dente (almost done). Keep a close eye on the rice and don’t forget to stir frequently during this process. It can take up to 40 minutes before the rice is done.
When the shiitake risotto is almost done add the last ladleful of stock (so you can serve it a little soupy), the parmesan cheese, salt & pepper to taste, and any of the suggested additions you’d like to include. If adding chicken or seafood, cook them separately and simply stir through when risotto is ready. This avoids overcooking or disintegration of the pieces of added protein.
Serve warm and enjoy! Sprinkle with diced shallots, fresh coriander, cashew nuts & remaining sesame seeds. Fresh chilli is always an option! Possibly drizzle with tamari if looking for another edge to the flavour.
This recipe serves 6. Costing non-members $21.50 for 6 people, or $30 for 6 people if adding all suggested vegetable additions.