by Nanci Katra
Freekeh can be used as a replacement for rice, cous cous or barley in most recipes. I had a chat to my grandma about her favourite Lebanese Freekeh recipe was. She let me in on her secrets to this delicious, and oh so nutritious soup!
- 110g freekeh, washed and soaked
- 1 chopped brown onion
- 4 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 whole organic, free range chicken (cut into portions)
- herbs and spices to taste: cinnamon, cardamom, cumin, salt, pepper
- 2-2.5L of water
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- Heat oil in a large pot, and lightly brown onion, then fry chicken.
- Once chicken is brown on the outside, add the freekeh, spices, and water.
- Let cook on low heat for about 60min. Ensure chicken is cooked all the way through.
- Add lemon juice and serve.