A dishmop is a great alternative to Chux sponges and dishcloths as well as plastic bottle brushes and they are easy to make yourself.
All you need to create your own dishmop is cloth (ideally recycled like an old tshirt or towel), 1 dowel of around 30cm length, two tacks and a string.
- Cut cloth into strips from your piece of cloth that should be around 1 m in length and 15 cm in height. Leave around 3 cm.
- Wind the cloth tightly around the dowel with the 3 cm border to the top.
- Secure the cloth with two small tacks, one on each side.
- Invert the cloth and tear strips further down towards the fold line.
- Bind cloth tightly with the string, knot tightly.
- That’s it. 🙂
If the cloth is not tight enough, just re-tighten. Make sure to dry your dishmop thoroughly after each use, ideally in the sun.