All ingredients for this delicious Hot Cross Buns recipe are available at your Co-Op, just not the yeast (but we are trying to source it package-free)
Prep 30 min (+ 10 min standing and 50 min rising time)
Cooking 20 min
- 2 tsp/7g dried yeast
- 2 tbs sugar
- 3/4 cup warm milk
- 2 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 40 g butter
- 3/4 cup sultanas
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 1/3 cup plain flour
- 1 1/2 tbs caster sugar
- 2 tbs boiling water
- Combine yeast, sugar and milk a a small bowl. Stand in a warm place for 10 minutes or until frothy.
- Combine flour and mixed spice in a bowl. Rub in butter. Stir in sultanas and orange zest. Make a well in the centre, stir in yeast mixture and egg. Cover with a damp tea towel and set aside in a warm place for about 40 minutes or until the dough has doubles in size.
- Knead dough on a floured surface for 5 minutes. Divide the dough into 12 portions and roll each portion into a ball. Place on a tray lined with baking paper and cover with a damp tea towel. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- For the crosses, combine cross ingredients in a small bowl so it forms a thick paste. Put the mixture in a piping bag and pipe over buns to make crosses.
- To make the glaze, heat the sugar and water in a small saucepan until dissolved and the mixture has thickened into a syrup. Turn off the heat and stir in orange juice.
- Bake buns for 20 minutes or until buns sound hollow when tapped on top.
- Serve your freshly baked hot cross buns with lots of butter!
- Enjoy! 🙂