Gazpacho is one of Spain’s best summer dishes as it embodies its vibrant Mediterranean culinary culture. This chilled soup is a simple yet sensational blend of ingredients, a reflection of the emphasis on fresh and wholesome foods. In Spain’s scorching summers, Gazpacho emerges as a saviour offering instant relief from the heat.
It also showcases the high value that Spaniards place on quality produce: the ripest tomatoes, crisp cucumbers, and vibrant bell peppers. It is a very versatile dish. It serves as a starter, a light meal, or even a refreshing drink on a hot day.
Thank you to our member, Mariona, for sharing her Gazpacho recipe.
These ingredients are all available packaging-free at Manly Food Co-op, making this a truly zero-waste dish.
- 5 ripe tomatoes, cored and roughly chopped
- 3/4 cucumber, peeled and diced
- 3/4 green capsicum, seeded and chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- Salt to taste
- Optional: slice of day-old bread (cubed)
- Optional garnishes: chopped fresh herbs (parsley, basil), diced cucumber, chopped boiled egg, extra virgin olive oil
- Chop and combine the tomatoes, cucumber, green capsicum, and minced garlic in a large bowl.
- Transfer the vegetable mixture to a blender. Blend until smooth. For a chunkier texture, blend for a shorter duration. It’s possible to use a stick blender if you process the soup in batches.
- While blending, drizzle in the olive oil and red wine vinegar. Blend until well combined.
- If using bread, add the cubed day-old bread into the mixture and blend until smooth to thicken the gazpacho.
- Season with salt, mix well, and refrigerate for at least one hour. Chilling enhances the flavors.
Quality ingredients: Opt for ripe, flavourful tomatoes and fresh, crunchy cucumbers for the best taste.
Chill factor: Ensure all ingredients are chilled before blending. It contributes to the soup’s refreshing taste.
Texture play: Control the texture by adjusting blending time. Some love it smooth, while others enjoy a bit of crunch.
Season to taste: Add more or less olive oil, vinegar, salt and/or garlic depending on your preference.
Garnish galore: Personalize your Gazpacho with garnishes like diced cucumber, fresh herbs, boiled egg or a drizzle of olive oil.
Gazpacho and its ingredients have incredible health benefits. The soup’s high water content aids in hydration and detoxifying the body. It’s also low-calorie and nutrient-dense which makes it suitable for weight management.
Tomatoes are rich in lycopene, which is linked to reduced risk of cancers and heart disease. Garlic contains allicin, which is know for its anti-bacterial and heart health benefits. The soup contains vitamins C and K, potassium, and folate for immunity support, collagen production and bone health.
So go ahead and enjoy a refreshing bowl of gazpacho this summer!